Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Island Cuisine


I thought it was time to show you some of the local cuisine...some is strictly original, but some has been brought over from the home country :)  Bon a-petite!
Before I partook of this fried fish, I thought I'd have a conversation with him first...only because he was staring at me awkwardly... :)
MAC&CHEESE!!!  Yes, it is possible!  I had to tweak my homemade mac&cheese recipe, but it works and it's pretty good if I do say so myself :)  It comes with a side of toasted, buttered french bread
Say "Hello" to fried friapa, aka breadfruit.  This fried actually does taste like french fries and somedays it tastes even better...who knew?!  You can also roast this in the fire or boil it.  Add a little of the local hot sauce and it is not bad :)
This is mohogo...it is actually the root of the mataba plant.  If you close your eyes real tight and take a bite of one of these fried and smothered in ketchup, you may be able to fool yourself into thinking it's a french fry...it only works somedays :)
This is mataba...think pounded spinach leaves cooked in coconut milk...it comes with a side of rice and some Nescafe coffee :)  For the record, I actually love mataba especially when someone else makes it for me....it's a long, long process

No comments:

Post a Comment